• ACT – (American College Test) - This is a college entrance exam divided into four parts; English, Math, Reading, and Natural Sciences, as well as a writing assessment. The exam is scored out of 36 points. Most colleges accept the ACT in addition or in place of the SAT. Please visit www.actstudent.org for more information.

    Admitted – You’ve been accepted to the college that you applied.

    Associate’s Degree – This degree traditionally involves 2 years of full-time study. Usually, 60 credit hours are completed before receiving this degree.

    Bachelor’s Degree – This degree traditionally involves 4 years of full-time study. Colleges, although each varies depending on the program, require the student to complete a minimum of 120 credit hours. Typically, a student will receive a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.).

    College Board –The organization that sponsors the SAT I and SAT II. Visit www.collegeboard.com for more information.

    Common Application – Hundreds of colleges in the United States agreed that students may apply to their colleges by completing one common application instead of individual applications for each school. www.commonapp.org

    Denied – You’ve been denied entry to the college that you applied.

    Early Decision – An admission application option in which a student applies to his/her top choice college early in the senior year under the guiding principal that the student will be bound to attend that college if accepted.

    FAFSA – Free Application for Federal Student Aid; a form that the government uses to determine the amount of money a person is eligible to receive. This is not necessarily the amount of money a college will give that individual. Students can complete the FAFSA after January 1st of their senior year. The website for the FAFSA application is www.fafsa.ed.gov. Please be careful, www.fafsa.com is a private website unrelated to the US Government that will charge families.

    Financial Aid - Various types of financial help including scholarships, work-study jobs, or grants to eligible students.

    Greek Life - This phrase refers to sororities and fraternities.

    Major – The field in which a student chooses to study. Majoring in a particular area of interest requires that you complete a specified number of credit hours in that area.

    Master’s Degree – An advanced degree of study based on additional years of schooling beyond a Bachelor’s Degree. The length of each program may vary based on the content area studied.

    Merit Based Scholarships – Financial assistance based on a variety of factors (academics, leadership, essays, etc.) that often don’t require repayment.

    Minor – A field of study that a student chooses to focus on. Much like a major, to have a major recognized on a transcript, a specified number of credit hours must be satisfied. Depending on the area of interest, the number of credit hours varies.

    Open Admission - A college or university that accepts all applicants who meet a certain standard. 

    Public University – A state assisted college or university.

    Private University – A non-state assisted college or university that relies on private donors for funding.

    Reach School - Based on your grades and test scores, a school that would be considered a long shot for admission.

    Rolling Admissions – The practice of processing an application for admission as soon as all required forms and credentials are received, rather than announcing all admission decisions on the same date.

    Room and Board – The cost of having a place to sleep and food while at school. If you live on campus, this is usually a preset fee. This may also change depending on your meal plan.

    ROTC (Reserve Officers Training Corps) – Military sponsored scholarship program that covers tuition, fees, textbooks, and provides monthly stipend. Recipients must make commitment to service after college.

    Safety School - Based on your grades and test scores, a school that you meet or exceed entrance requirements. 

    Teaching Assistant – Often a graduate student who helps out in your classes. They may grade papers, lead seminar discussions, and teach classes.

    Transfer Agreement – An agreement between two colleges that says the college you are transferring to will accept the credit hours that you have earned at the college you are transferring from. This contract is made between individual colleges. Speak with a college admissions officer or counselor for more information.

    Undergraduate – A college or university student who has not yet received his/her first Bachelor’s Degree.

    Waitlisted – You have not been admitted or denied, instead are placed on a waiting list should space become available.

    Work Study - A program through which students work part-time to help fund their education. Work-study is usually included as part of the financial aid package.